Friday, January 18, 2013

Hiding your research behind a paywall is immoral

Read this article** by Mike Taylor in the Guardian newspaper's Science Desk blog to find the answer!

 

** which has raised a storm of comments from researchers!

"If you are a scientist, your job is to bring new knowledge into the world. And if you bring new knowledge into the world, it's immoral to hide it. I heartily wish I'd never done it, and I won't do it again." (Mike Taylor)

"But aren't there special cases (for not publishing in open access journals)?
  • I really need to publish in Science/Nature/Cell for my career …
  • But I can't afford article processing charges for open access (APCs) 
  • But this paywalled journal's subscription fees fund its scholarly society …
  • But this paper is a rebuttal, and we want to submit to the same journal, because..
  • But my co-authors want to publish in this paywalled journal …"

No comments:

Post a Comment